- Download the latest BuildTools.jar from Spigot and put it in a folder on your desktop, for this we'll put it in a folder called "buildtools".
- Install either Java 7 or Java 8 on your PC. If you're able to play Minecraft, you already have Java, but you need Java 7 or Java 8, Java 6 will not work. You can download Java 8 by going to the Oracle Java 8 JRE download site, then click "Accept License Agreement" and download the "Windows x64" .EXE version and install it.
- Once you have Java installed we need to download and install Git, visit Git for Windows and download and install the application, keep pressing Next until it's completed.
- Open the buildtools folder on your desktop that we created earlier that you put the BuildTools.jar in, then right click the empty area and click 'Git Bash':
- This will open the Git Bash window in your current directory, now we can run the BuildTools.jar by running the following command in the Git Bash prompt:
java -jar BuildTools.jar
press Enter and it will start downloading the required files and compiling the .jar files.
- This process can take anywhere from 5-20 minutes depending on your internet connection as BuildTools will download about 250MB of data, and depending on your hardware. Once it's completed you'll get the following message:
- The 'craftbukkit-1.8.jar' and 'spigot-1.8.jar' files will be created in the buildtools folder that the BuildTools.jar is in:
This example guide is using a clean install of Windows 8.1 64-bit with Java 8 JRE installed. Results may vary if using older versions. If you're using a Linux operating system all you need to do is install Git and Java, and run the same BuildTools.jar command as above in your SSH session.